cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Mac OS X and Java development
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 08:50:57 GMT
Joerg Heinicke schrieb:
> On 03.04.2008 23:33, Jörg Heinicke (JIRA) wrote:
>
>> With Mac OS X I also have no access to the source code of the JDK.
>
> Which makes me wonder again how to do serious Java development with Mac
> OS X. I know a few of you guys are using Mac OS X. How do you do it?

I switched from Windows to Mac 4 years ago, and the only things I'm
missing are Half-Life and Strikeforce :) The time I used to spend on
installing ZoneAlarm & Co. is now happily spent on keyboard shortcut
configuration in Eclipse.

> Whenever I start this I get annoyed very fast. The missing Java sources
> are only the tip of the iceberg. Every tree representation in Eclipse
> just sucks.

The indentation is a bit wide, and the horizontal scrolling is annoying,
but maybe that's why Apple has invented the mighty mouse (which I, alas,
do not possess) :)

> Keyboard navigation in Mac OS X is completely inconsistent,
> especially with Java programs. There seems to be no serious SVN command
> line client (or at least the CollabNet download page is just
> self-linking at the moment:
> http://downloads.open.collab.net/binaries.html).

I use the Metissian subversion client, and I didn't notice any problems yet.

Speaking of which: Windows doesn't have a serious command-line at all,
or has this changed with Vista? cygwin doesn't come close to a native
Unix IMO.

> And so on ... Windows
> has also bunch of annoying issues but there is at least consistency and
> usually there is a solution for everything. Do you guys all switch to
> Linux when it comes to Java development? :)

IMO the situation with Java is quite acceptable. Porting shell scripts
from a Linux environment is a PITA, though.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO
BeCompany GmbH