cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Andreas Hartmann <andr...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Release Cocoon 2.2-final
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:41:59 GMT
Luca Morandini schrieb:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> It would be great to have better docs, but honestly who is going to
>> write them?
>
> Some (most ?) of it has been already written, it's just a matter of
> copying it from Javadoc (or 2.1 docs pages) to the 2.2 ones, and check
> its currentness, of course.
>

>> We might not get some new users because of bad docs, but we might get
>> people really interested in a new Cocoon.
>
> Does it mean we already gave up with attracting new users ?
>
> What's the "mission" of 2.2 then ?
>
> As I see it, this release has the potential of attracting new users to a
> leaner, meaner Cocoon, but then we should be able to greet them
> appropriately.
>
> As for "old" users: I can talk only for myself, but I think 2.2 is great
> for new projects only, since it doesn't pay to Springify and Mavenize
> old ones.

I don't think so - that depends on the situation. We at Lenya will have
to upgrade sooner or later, otherwise we'd lose touch with the Cocoon
community and we'd have to backport all fixes and improvements. Most
people who maintain an ongoing project will do the migration, whether it
makes sense from a technological point of view or not.

Regarding documentation: In my experience, one of the best ways for
creating docs is via personal "marketing". When people create a tutorial
on their blogs or a presentation for a conference, the effort to move
these contents to the project docs isn't that big (a big chunk of the
Lenya documentation was developed this way). Maybe some of the
developers could provide their slides? Even some links to slideshare.net
could certainly be helpful.

-- Andreas

--
Andreas Hartmann, CTO