cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Luca Morandini <lmorand...@ieee.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Release Cocoon 2.2-final
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 08:12:54 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> It would be great to have better docs, but honestly who is going to
> write them?

Some (most ?) of it has been already written, it's just a matter of
copying it from Javadoc (or 2.1 docs pages) to the 2.2 ones, and check
its currentness, of course.

> We might not get some new users because of bad docs, but we might get
> people really interested in a new Cocoon.

Does it mean we already gave up with attracting new users ?

What's the "mission" of 2.2 then ?

As I see it, this release has the potential of attracting new users to a
leaner, meaner Cocoon, but then we should be able to greet them
appropriately.

As for "old" users: I can talk only for myself, but I think 2.2 is great
for new projects only, since it doesn't pay to Springify and Mavenize
old ones.

So, we got two distinct classes of users:
1) Old ones, which will use 2.2 as new projects come in, hence allowing
for a rather long transition period.
2) New ones, which will be very sensible to good docs and samples and
will try 2.2 right after its release.

The current state of docs is good enough for the old users, not for the
new ones, I think.

Hence, 2.2 faces the fate of being caught between old users adopting it
very slowly and new users not adopting it in great numbers... not an
exciting prospect.

Regards,

    Luca Morandini
www.lucamorandini.it