cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Finding a home for JNet
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2008 07:17:04 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Now cocoon-jnet:
>   o.a.c.jnet.*
>   o.a.excalibur.sourceresolve.jnet.*

This brings us to the question of the final home of cocoon-jnet. It was
originally developed by Carsten as part of the Excalibur project. It
provides a mechanism to _dynamically_ register your own
URLStreamHandlerFactory implementations
(org.apache.excalibur.sourceresolve.jnet.*)

Additionally JNet contains a special URLStreamHandlerFactory that allows
you to register Excalibur sources
(org.apache.excalibur.sourceresolve.jnet.source.*) which then become
useable together with java.net.URL.

Currently we only use org.apache.excalibur.sourceresolve.jnet because we
want to register servlet:/ and blockcontext:/ URLs using JNet instead of
excalibur-sourceresolve. By doing this cocoon-servlet-service-impl and
cocoon-blockdeployment don't have a hard dependency on Excalibur anymore.
(BTW, Cocoon 2.2 still has but I don't think it's worthwhile to cut this
dependency there too.)

The question now is how/where we want to release JNet. I think that it
is an intersting piece of code for everybody who wants to register his
own URLStreamHandlerFactory implementations and can't be sure that he is
the first or the only one who wants to do this. Having only one
defacto-standard in the Java world would be great.

IMO the best fit is Apache Commons for
org.apache.excalibur.sourceresolve.jnet (2 classes) and Apache Excalibur
for org.apache.excalibur.sourceresolve.jnet.source (7 classes).

My proposal
-----------

* I think we should contact the Apache Commons community and talk with
   them about org.apache.excalibur.sourceresolve.jnet stuff.

* Since I don't expect that we can release it from there anytime soon, I
   think we should release it for now ourselves using our own namespace.
   As soon as there is the other release available, we can switch and
   deprecate our own implementation.

* The org.apache.excalibur.sourceresolve.jnet.source stuff can be
   removed from our repository completely because we don't use it.
   It should be used by the Apache Excalibur project.

Who's going to contact the Apache Commons community? Carsten, do you
want to do it yourself? I think the credit is due to you!

Apache Cocoon Committer, PMC member, PMC Chair       reinhard@apache.org