cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Pötz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Cocoon Maven plugin: How to automatically use if for <packaging>war</packaging>
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2008 06:19:20 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> gkossakowski@apache.org pisze:
>> Author: gkossakowski
>> Date: Fri Apr 25 15:40:48 2008
>> New Revision: 651728

>> Log:
>> RCL must take into account newly created
>> BlockDeploymentServletContextListener.
>>
> [...]
>>    <listener>
>> +
>> <listener-class>org.apache.cocoon.blockdeployment.BlockDeploymentServletContextListener</listener-class>

>> +  </listener>
>> +  <listener>
>>
>> <listener-class>org.springframework.web.context.ContextLoaderListener</listener-class>

>>    </listener>
>>    <listener>
>
> At the time of committing this fix I forgot about our xpath
> functionality for web.xml. Now I wonder what's better solution, to add
> this to RCL profile or just let cocoon-blockdeployer to provide XPath
> file for web.xml?

I'm in favor of adding a "targetVersion" property to the Cocoon Maven
plugin configuration. I think we are going to need this because
otherwise you couldn't use the latest plugin with older versions of the
Cocoon subproject modules.

Given, the use of the xpatch mechanism would solve at least this problem
with automatic upgrades of your web.xml, but this would force everybody
to use cocoon:deploy and cocoon:deploy-war to create deployable .war
artifacts. The downside of this approach is that it's not fully
integrated into the Maven build life cycle and you can't do 'mvn
release:prepare release:perform' or 'mvn deploy' anymore for them. Hence
I don't think it's a good idea to force everybody to use 'mvn
cocoon:deploy'.

Maybe somebody can work out a solution that finds a better way to
integrate the cocoon:deploy goal. Actually it is a very small wrapper
around the Maven WAR plugin that adds xpatch and the shielding
classloader (not to be confused with the reloading classloader).
Is there a possibility to set the Cocoon Maven plugin as the plugin that
creates the artifact for <packaging>war</packaging> modules instead of
the Maven WAR plugin which is the default?

Apache Cocoon Committer, PMC member, PMC Chair       reinhard@apache.org