cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Reduce the references to SNAPSHOTs
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:33:30 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler pisze:
>> Agreed. I would add one (quite obvious) rule: if some module gets
>> relesed and artifact is available at central other modules should
>> always update its dependencies ASAP. This applies to patch releases.
>>
> No, I don't think so :)
>
> Example (it's fictional): we have the ajax block released as 1.0 and the
> forms block 1.1 depends on the ajax api 1.0.
> Now, for some reason we update the ajax api to 1.1 and add some features.
>
> There is no need to change the dependency from the forms block to the
> new ajax api. As the ajax api 1.1 is assumed to be compatible to 1.0
> (and it really should be), you can run the forms block with both api's.
> And it is better to indicate the lowest version you require.

On APIs I agree but I if API changes then it's not a patch release, right?

For all artifacts we have version consisting of three numbers that I interpret as:

   major.minor.patch

Where patch releases should contain only bug-fixes and small changes (*no* new futures) so
it's both
back- and forth-compatible and you are free to switch to any of x.y.z version where x and
y are
constants.

For such releases I would like other artifacts to update their dependencies ASAP.

Your example about API change is about increasing minor part and your arguments are fine,
IMHO.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski