cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reduce the references to SNAPSHOTs
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:26:59 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler pisze:
>> The rule is easy: don't update if there is no reason to update. The
>> only module that might update to snapshost is the webapp that
>> aggregates all the various blocks as an example.
>>
>> But for instance, if the api doesn't change, there is no need for
>> anyone using the api (including the impl) to update to the snapshot.
>> If the api changes, well then at least the impl should change. But
>> other blocks using this api do not need to change. If they need new
>> features from then new api, they can update.
>
> Agreed. I would add one (quite obvious) rule: if some module gets
> relesed and artifact is available at central other modules should always
> update its dependencies ASAP. This applies to patch releases.

No, I don't think so :)

Example (it's fictional): we have the ajax block released as 1.0 and the
forms block 1.1 depends on the ajax api 1.0.
Now, for some reason we update the ajax api to 1.1 and add some features.

There is no need to change the dependency from the forms block to the
new ajax api. As the ajax api 1.1 is assumed to be compatible to 1.0
(and it really should be), you can run the forms block with both api's.
And it is better to indicate the lowest version you require.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org