cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Reduce the references to SNAPSHOTs
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:11:07 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler pisze:
> The rule is easy: don't update if there is no reason to update. The only
> module that might update to snapshost is the webapp that aggregates all
> the various blocks as an example.
>
> But for instance, if the api doesn't change, there is no need for anyone
> using the api (including the impl) to update to the snapshot. If the api
> changes, well then at least the impl should change. But other blocks
> using this api do not need to change. If they need new features from
> then new api, they can update.

Agreed. I would add one (quite obvious) rule: if some module gets relesed and artifact is
available
at central other modules should always update its dependencies ASAP. This applies to patch
releases.

> So it's a very conservative way of handling the dependencies. As we are
> now built by gump again we'll detect problems due to the gump builts and
> can fix them. There is no need to depend on the latest snapshots for all
> references.

Huh, I'll need to figure out this Gump thing. I've never bothered to understand what is its
purpose
and why I should care about it. Looks like I need to change my attitude here. :-)

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski