cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Reduce the references to SNAPSHOTs
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2008 20:04:20 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler pisze:
>> Hi,
>>
>> as we plan to have independent releases of all the blocks, the core
>> modules etc. we should reduce the number of dependencies refering to
>> snapshots to a minimum.
>> Especially for the parent poms and references to apis - there is no
>> need to always release all parent poms, the api etc. just to fix a bug
>> in the impl. And if we refer to released versions from within the
>> poms, building Cocoon or parts of Cocoon gets much much easier.
>
> +1!
>
> Carsten, are you willing to do this work?

Yes, I hope to do this in the next week.

>> (And I think we already discussed this nearly a year ago and agreed to
>> that :) )
>
> Have we discussed when we should switch to snapshot again? I think it's
> quite important to have some clear rules.

Hmm, yes, I think so :)

The rule is easy: don't update if there is no reason to update. The only
module that might update to snapshost is the webapp that aggregates all
the various blocks as an example.

But for instance, if the api doesn't change, there is no need for anyone
using the api (including the impl) to update to the snapshot. If the api
changes, well then at least the impl should change. But other blocks
using this api do not need to change. If they need new features from
then new api, they can update.

So it's a very conservative way of handling the dependencies. As we are
now built by gump again we'll detect problems due to the gump builts and
can fix them. There is no need to depend on the latest snapshots for all