cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [OT] Mac OS X and Java development
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 15:33:15 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> On 03.04.2008 23:33, Jörg Heinicke (JIRA) wrote:
>
>> With Mac OS X I also have no access to the source code of the JDK.
>
> Which makes me wonder again how to do serious Java development with
> Mac OS X. I know a few of you guys are using Mac OS X. How do you do it?

Er... without any problem, and I nothing would make me swith back to
Windoze :-)

> Whenever I start this I get annoyed very fast. The missing Java
> sources are only the tip of the iceberg.

What missing Java sources? They are in
/System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/src.jar

> Every tree representation in Eclipse just sucks.

What sucks? The missing vertical lines? It means a bit more indentation,
but less visual clutter. And my Mighty Mouse's scroll ball does magic to
navigate in all directions :-)

> Keyboard navigation in Mac OS X is completely inconsistent, especially
> with Java programs.

Uh? What is "consistency" besides the usual cut/copy/paste? Note that I
don't use anything else than a Mac, so maybe I'm just used to the Mac's
own consistency :-)

> There seems to be no serious SVN command line client (or at least the
> CollabNet download page is just self-linking at the moment:
> http://downloads.open.collab.net/binaries.html).

Install macports and just run "sudo port install subversion"

> And so on ... Windows has also bunch of annoying issues but there is
> at least consistency and usually there is a solution for everything.
> Do you guys all switch to Linux when it comes to Java development? :)

Naaaah. I'm very happy with my Mac :-)

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net