cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <>
Subject Re: JNet integration doubts
Date Fri, 04 Apr 2008 05:12:36 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>> Why do we have to replace the blockcontext: protocol at all?
> Take a look at its current source code. There is no such a thing like
> "blockcontext:" protocol implementation at the moment.

Therefore I'm asking ...

> In my [RT] mail I explained how we could possibly to stop cheating
> pretending there is a blockcontext protocol and replace it with
> blockcontext expression that would better reflect current implementation.

making the blockcontext protocol an expression is just another big hack IMO.

> Another possibility (suggested by you) is to provide real implementation
> of blockcontext: protocol and use blockcontext protocol in base URLs for
> blocks. I cannot comment on this solution because I haven't enough free
> time to check all implications. Remember: you will put blockcontext into
> ServletContext that is rather general interface. I don't say there is
> any problem, I'm only saying I haven't checked if there is none.

Steven and I made the servlet protocol based on JNet work for Corona yesterday
(not committed yet). Then we had a quick look into the resolution of the
blockcontext protocol and we don't see any problem why it should not work.

> I prefer (only for now, as a quick solution) first way because there is
> not much room for discussion, brainstorming and general research which
> is quite opposite to URL-em-them-all approach. I really would like to
> fix SSF ASAP and let the discussion/research on URL go in parallel.

Making blockcontext: a real protocol seems to be the simplest and by far the
most elegant and most obvious solution. I will give this a try either today or
at the Hackathon and find out if it is really as simple as expected.

Apache Cocoon Committer, PMC member, PMC Chair

View raw message