cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: 2.2 Docs (was Re: [vote] Release Cocoon 2.2-final)
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 19:25:03 GMT
Andrew Savory pisze:
> Hi,
>
> (Changing subject, starting new thread. Please, when an email says
> 'this thread is for votes only', try to respect that!)
>
> On 03/04/2008, Luca Morandini <lmorandini@ieee.org> wrote:
>> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>>
>>> We might not get some new users because of bad docs, but we might get
>> people really interested in a new Cocoon.
>>  Does it mean we already gave up with attracting new users ?
>>
>>  What's the "mission" of 2.2 then ?
>
> No, releasing without complete docs does not mean giving up on
> attracting new users. There have been many initiatives over the years
> to improve our docs but ultimately the problem remains: writing docs
> is hard and boring, and people are rarely willing to do this on a
> voluntary basis.

Speaking about myself only but I have never found writing docs boring. Moreover, I've expierienced

Cocoon bugs that were much more difficult to fix than any docs page to write.

Not sure why others find it boring. Don't you like to boast about your knowledge?

> We should accept this and get 2.2 out the door (honestly, I think
> delaying it further will lose more users than not having sufficient
> docs) and then if we can, turn some of the energy of this debate into
> writing docs. Better yet, let's be diligent in taking questions on the
> mailing lists and turning them into FAQs/documentation, and improve
> the docs that way.

+1

> Or if anyone knows a good technical author who might be willing to
> participate in GSoC, please speak now!

GSoC is about delivering code not documentation, see:
http://code.google.com/opensource/gsoc/2008/faqs.html#0.1_doc_proposals

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski