cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [vote] Release Cocoon 2.2-final
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 07:12:54 GMT
Dev at weitling wrote:

> Sorry, I can't agree. Cocoon still has the same fault as many
> open-source products: A lack of documentation.
> I don't know if GSoC is for docs, too, but it is really, really
> necessary to improve docs.
> It's still the same Catch-22: To write docs you need to understand the
> developed, to understand the developed you need the docs, ...
> Writing docs does belong to development, even when it seems to be at a
> kindergarden level for newbies!

I think we all agree that we need docs (or more/better docs), absolutely
no doubt. And I think we also agree that writing docs is one task of the
development process, and it's an important task.

But we can't force anyone to write docs; and delaying a release because
of lacking documentation is not producing the desired effect: instead of
getting docs this way, nothing is usually happening: no docs and no release.
I don't say that I'm happy about this.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler