cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Dev at weitling <d...@weitling.net>
Subject Re: [vote] Release Cocoon 2.2-final
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2008 06:53:58 GMT

Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Luca Morandini wrote:

>>> There is much room for improvement in the doc though: don't you
>>> think it should be improved before release ?
>>>
>> It would be great to have better docs, but honestly who is going to
>> write them? We can either release with the docs we have or wait
>> forever for better docs and never release. From these two choices I
>> prefer the first one. Anything between these two extremes is imho not
>> going to happen.
>> We might not get some new users because of bad docs, but we might get
>> people really interested in a new Cocoon. If we wait for better docs
>> we loose everyone as we never release.
>
> Yup. And add to this the fact that doc lifecycle is different from the
> software lifecycle, since there is no doc releases, but a continuous
> improvement.

Sorry, I can't agree. Cocoon still has the same fault as many
open-source products: A lack of documentation.
I don't know if GSoC is for docs, too, but it is really, really
necessary to improve docs.
It's still the same Catch-22: To write docs you need to understand the
developed, to understand the developed you need the docs, ...
Writing docs does belong to development, even when it seems to be at a
kindergarden level for newbies!

Just my 0,02 CHF
Florian