cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Luca Morandini <lmorand...@ieee.org>
Subject Re: [2.2] Forms dependency on Ajax block
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 07:46:08 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> On 13.03.2008 16:20, Luca Morandini wrote:
>
  >> Which is a departure from 2.1.9, which, IIRC, worked even with
>> Javascript disabled on the browser.
>
> I don't think Forms used to work without Javascript.

I beg to differ: disable your javascript, go to
http://www.tutelamare.it/ and click on "Ambiente&Meteo"; you'll see no
Javascript there (at least for the widget types we used).

>> Why I'm making such a plea ?
>> Well, the use of non-Javascript forms is a requirement for making
>> websites accessible, which is a mandatory for governmental websites in
>> Italy.
>
> I don't quite agree with it, Javascript does not necessarily prevent
> accessibility. I'm not too familiar with all the accessibility
> requirements but for example the tabs we have in Forms should be fine,
> aren't they?

Javascript is fine as long as the page gives the same functionality with
Javascript disabled <<Ensure that pages are usable when scripts,
applets, or other programmatic objects are turned off or not supported.
If this is not possible, provide equivalent information on an
alternative accessible page.>>.

This for WCAG 1.0, which is the one our current legislation is based on,
as for WCAG 2.0, WAI-ARIA and the like, well, I bet the Italian law will
adopt it circa 2022 :(

For the rest, I agree wholeheartedly with your comments.

Regards,

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/

    Luca Morandini
www.lucamorandini.it