cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [2.2] Forms dependency on Ajax block
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 12:39:40 GMT

On 18 Mar 2008, at 05:40, Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> On 13.03.2008 16:20, Luca Morandini wrote:
>
>>> This means that Forms must depend on Ajax (Dojo to be more
>>> precise) despite the fact you use Ajax or not.

As Joerg said, we are currently re-working the client-side aspect of
CForms to use Dojo 1.0 (or better 1.1).

To try to answer a few of your issues :

CForms has relied on Dojo for quite a while now.

Don't confuse Dojo with Ajax. Dojo is used regardless of whether you
want Ajax (XMLHTTPRequest) behaviour or not as we want consistency in
our widgets.

Parts of CForms would probably work with JavaScript turned off, though
TBH, this has never been a high priority. IMHO it will be very
difficult to make a version of CForms that works reliably without
JavaScript. CForms is declarative. As the forms are rendered, the
system has no knowledge of whether JavaScript is running on the
client. CForms cannot stop you from using stuff that would not work.
eg. onchange handlers etc.

The dependency that the Forms block has on the Ajax block is currently
very important.

CForms uses the BrowserUpdate mechanism for updating forms on the fly.
BrowserUpdate consists of client-side DOM insertion code, server-side
Transformer and sitemaps.

BrowserUpdate is the largest proportion of the Ajax Block. It is quite
possible that BrowserUpdate is /only/ used by CForms.

The other stuff in the Ajax Block is :
1) support (server-side code and sitemap) for File Upload Progress Bar
2) PartialLink and periodicalUpdate, two samples that are probably
more proof-of-concept than actually useful.

I hope this helps.

best regards

Jeremy

PS. The Ajax Block and samples now work with Dojo 1.0. so we are
moving on to tackle CForms itself.