cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: [GSoC_2008] Project ideas
Date Sat, 29 Mar 2008 14:32:33 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko pisze:
> On Mar 17, 2008, at 11:30 AM, Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>
>> Reinhard Poetz pisze:
>>> My statement was meant to be more general (SSF + Spring migration +
>>> Schema support).
>>> For an SSF project only, I don't see enough work (I only know about
>>> SAX buffering and support for redirects as missing features) ... but
>>> maybe I'm wrong here.
>>
>> There is not that much work left in "pure" SSF
>> (cocoon-servlet-service-impl module) but there is still a room for
>> improvement in module containing components integrating SSF and Cocoon
>> (cocoon-servlet-service-components). Mentioned SAX buffer support
>> involves modifications in impl and components modules.
>>
>> I would add to the list of nice-to-have-in-SSF servlet discovery
>> feature based on some conditions (e.g. returning 200 status code as
>> response to certain request path). This way one could discover blocks
>> providing certain services (e.g. skinning).
>>
>> Nothing more comes to my mind right now.
>
>   $ find cocoon/core/cocoon-servlet-service/cocoon-servlet-service-impl
> -name "*.java" | xargs grep TODO | wc -l
>   18
>
> I'm not so sure that this is "not much" :)

Vadim, you forgot about FIXME marks ;)

find core/cocoon-servlet-service/cocoon-servlet-service-impl -name "*.java" | xargs grep -E

"TODO|FIXME" | wc -l
27

I've been considering participation in GSoC for some time due to my tottering planes for summer.

Now I'm pretty sure I'll be able to do some Cocoon-related work again this year. I would like
focus on fixing bugs, implementing lacking features and general polishing SSF.

My goals would be:
   * get rid of most FIXME/TODO marks in SSF code
   * implement SAX buffering for service calls
   * fix COCOON-1964:  Redirects inside a block called via the servlet protocol fail
   * fix COCOON-2096:  Servlet source's exists() method always returns true
   * provide samples of SSF usage for both situations:
     - servlets managed by SSF are pure servlets that have nothing to do with Cocoon itself
     - servlets are both pure servlets or SitemapServlets

For samples I would like to prepare examples how to connect, call servlets. How to make service

calls, make use of polymorphism, etc.

                                               --- o0o ---

Apart from that I have an idea of making Cocoon blocks/servlets distributed and enabling SSF
transparently handle such set up. I think it would be very interesting to have a possibility
deploy different servlets to different physical machines and let them talk to eacher other
using HTTP.

Actually, current implementation of servlet-to-servlet connections exploits only standard
HTTP API
so this should be quite easy to implement. That would enable completely new-brand SSF usage
patterns
like:

   * setting up load balancer between blocks (servlets) provided there are few machines with
the
same block deployed
   * setting up fail-over handling (if one of machines goes down, rest takes the processing)
   * exceptional scalability: if one of blocks is being used extensively, you can add another

machine with this block deployed and make load balancer aware of it
   * even block (servlets) calls through the Internet! :-)

This should be considered as an optional deliverable for my GSoC activity as it would demand
lots of
discussing, researching and implementing in the end. Nevertheless, if time permits I would
like to
start experiment with this idea during the summer.

WDOT?

--
Respects,
Grzegorz Kossakowski