cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Exploring Corona
Date Fri, 28 Mar 2008 13:58:51 GMT
Ralph Goers wrote:
> Consider this:
>
> URL baseUrl = new URL("file:///C:/temp/");
> Pipeline pipeline = new NonCachingPipeline();
> pipeline.addComponent(new FileGenerator(new URL(baseUrl, "xyz.xml"));
> pipeline.addComponent(new XSLTTransformer(new URL(baseUrl, "xyz.xslt"));
> pipeline.addComponent(new XMLSerializer());
> pipeline.invoke(new InvocationImpl(System.out));
>
> This simple pipeline has these potentially cacheable components;
> xyz.xml, xyz.xslt, the result of the XSLT transformation, and the final
> result of the pipeline. As it relates to the pipeline I don't see how
> the URL.getLastModified() really helps as it could apply to any of these
> items, two of which aren't even URLs.

Hmm, I think this isn't different to what we have today with sources.
Today: FileGenerator, XSLTTransformer use a source as input
        For caching: this source provides a validity object
URLs: FileGenerator, XSLTTransformer use a url as input
        For caching: this url provides a last modified date
XMLSerializer in both cases returns a fake (or always valid) validity
object/last modified.

Now, as I responded to Steven, last modified covers most use cases but
not all of the use cases the validity object can handle. This is where
we have to think about a good way to have the same.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org