cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: Layered software designs
Date Thu, 27 Mar 2008 12:13:38 GMT
On 27.03.2008 02:25, Steven Dolg wrote:

>>> What I want to see is a concise pipeline API that comes with only
>>> little overhead in terms of its learning curve and its dependencies
>>> on third-party software. Usually this means that we stick with
>>> standard APIs as much as possible - and I think this rule applies for
>>> our situation too.
>>
>> See, one thing that I just don't get (and already asked) is how the
>> pipeline API has anything to do with uri resolving. For me the latter
>> (using java.net or source resolve) is an implementation detail. Our
>> current pipeline interface [1] has no relationship to uri resolving.
>> It only has a reference to SourceValidity because of caching [2].
>>
>> If all this discussion is about removing this method (and the related
>> getKeyForEventPipeline()) to get rid of this dependency I'm ok with
>> it. The caching concern could be implemented in a separate Cacheable
>> interface which should then also be decoupled from uri resolving
>> (which seems to point to Peter's approach [3]).
>>
> Just as a general observation:
> I'm starting to believe that I do not understand (anymore) what this is
> all about.
> We're jumping from high-level concepts ("caching", "layering") straight
> down to the lowest level ("it's just method a in class B") and then
> right back.

I have had the same problem from the beginning [1] and expressed it in
my question above again. What is this discussion about - if uri
resolving has nothing to do with the pipeline API? And what do we win
when replacing source resolve with java.net except that we have one less
dependency - when nobody really gets in contact with uri resolving
anyway? I have only received half an answer to only the second question
(standard API). Only then I started to look at the relationship between
uri resolving and pipeline API and found only this one reference to the
source resolve package.

Joerg

[1] http://marc.info/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=120649777119480&w=4