cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Layered software designs
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 15:46:39 GMT
Ralph Goers pisze:

> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>>   Pipeline API  +  java.net.URL   +  XML-SAX components
>>

>> A more advanced scenario could consist of
>>
>>   Pipeline API  +  Sourceresolve  +  XML-SAX components  +  Sitemap
>> Engine
>>

>> or maybe you need the full stack that corresponds to Cocoon Core 2.2 -
>> here you are:
>>
>>   Pipeline API  +  Sourceresolve  +  HTTP-enabled  +  Sitemap Engine
>> +  Spring
>>                                        XML-SAX
>>                                      componnents
>>

>> This layered approach makes Cocoon easily embeddable in any Java
>> application and Cocoon's learning curve becomes more gradual.
>>
>> Is such a situation only appealing to Carsten, Steven and me?
> Appealing? yes.  Actually implementable in Java so that it isn;t even
> more complicated than what we have? I don't know.

+1.

I've got my hands dirty with URL stuff from Java and I fail to see how we can avoid using
Source
interface, especially when caching comes in.

The issue is not about lack of the will but more about lack of ability, at least at this stage.
Examine current Source/SourcaFactory/CocoonSourceResolver usage patterns to see what I mean.

--
Grzegorz