cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Layered software designs
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:14:37 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> The question is now if we need support for caching in the low level apis
> or if it is possible to have a layered approach - which would make the
> entry barrier much easier.

Yes, this layered approach is what I'm aiming for. All the reactions in this
thread make me think that everybody, who has commented on this mailing list so
far (except Carsten), believes that we want to throw away good things that have
profed to be useful in many situations.
Rest assured, that's not the case. Carsten and I only want to break up this
all-or-nothing situation that we (still) have now.

What I want to see is a concise pipeline API that comes with only little
overhead in terms of its learning curve and its dependencies on third-party
software. Usually this means that we stick with standard APIs as much as
possible - and I think this rule applies for our situation too.

This means that the user of the API only needs to learn as little as possible.
When he wants more, we offer additional modules that help him. Since he has a
concrete need, the motiviation to learn something new is much higher than when
he has to learn everything right from the beginning.

If you want to learn how this whole concept *might* apply for a next generation
Cocoon, have a look at Steven's and my "Exploring Corona" mail from last week
(http://marc.info/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=120611990603725&w=2).

The idea of Corona is having a concise core that doesn't have any dependencies
on a particular component container (Spring, OSGi, etc.), source resolving
mechanisms or environment (http, java  only, etc.) or even the type of the
components (XML-SAX event stream, XML-Stax event stream, binary streams, etc.)
that are linked together in a pipeline.

A simple scenario could be:

   Pipeline API  +  java.net.URL   +  XML-SAX components

A more advanced scenario could consist of

   Pipeline API  +  Sourceresolve  +  XML-SAX components  +  Sitemap Engine

or maybe you need the full stack that corresponds to Cocoon Core 2.2 - here you are:

   Pipeline API  +  Sourceresolve  +  HTTP-enabled  +  Sitemap Engine  +  Spring
                                        XML-SAX
                                      componnents

This layered approach makes Cocoon easily embeddable in any Java application and
Cocoon's learning curve becomes more gradual.

Is such a situation only appealing to Carsten, Steven and me?