cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JNet integration
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 13:08:03 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

> I'm not sure if we are talking about the same. If I take Reinhard's
> sample [1]
>
> URL baseUrl = new URL("file:///C:/temp/");
> Pipeline pipeline = new NonCachingPipeline();
> pipeline.addComponent(new FileGenerator(new URL(baseUrl, "xyz.xml"));
> pipeline.addComponent(new XSLTTransformer(new URL(baseUrl, "xyz.xslt"));
> pipeline.addComponent(new XMLSerializer());
> pipeline.invoke(new InvocationImpl(System.out));

Ok, up to here we are talking about the same :) Adding the
sourceresolver and sources to the above example and let the sources
return the urls should be easy. That's more or less what you do today.

> and want to add caching to it and therefore have to switch from URL to
> Source and from FileGenerator to CachingFileGenerator - sorry, but
> that's a mess since this means pretty much rewriting the application for
> adding caching. Why is this page so slow? Oh, sorry we forgot this
> pipeline to switch to caching ...
Ah, no no, I'm not saying this :) There should only be one file generator.
Let's use the above example: you setup the pipeline as shown above and
then do a:
Pipeline cachingPipeline = new CachingPipeline(pipeline);

Et voila! That's all you have to do.

Now, as I answered to Ralphs mail, I don't know if this is possible or
how to do it right now. So it might turn out that it's not or it's not
worth doing it.

> That's why I wonder where a pipeline writer gets into uri resolving at
> all? Why does he have to care about URLs or Sources? That's the
> component developer's concern.
The pipeline writer needs to know how uri resolving works. He needs to
know what input values are allowed, what relative values mean etc.

But I will turn around the questions :) What caching do you need? The
ultra complex caching we currently have which can cache partial
pipelines? Or just the result of a pipeline?

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org