cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: JNet integration
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:47:56 GMT

Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

> Hmm, I don't think so. Imagine a pipeline java api just taking a uri
> for the sources used in the pipeline. That's simple and easy.
> Now, you can use the source resolver on top of that, resolve your
> sources and you get a uri from your source that you can put into the
> pipeline api.
> That's neither a mess nor does it require more java coding.

That sounds good in theory, but the proof is in when you actually try to
do it with caching enabled. As I said, I'm not really too interested in
the non-caching use case as I view that as the minority use case.
Furthermore, the non-caching use case can always be dealt with by using
the caching use case and just turning off the cache.

So you build this pipeline API that only uses java.net. Now you want to
build pipelines that cache. Does the Source now have to show through the
caching version of the pipeline API?  If it does you will have a real
mess as now users of pipelines have to determine whether they are
caching or non-caching just to determine what methods they can use.

Ralph