cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JNet integration
Date Wed, 26 Mar 2008 12:04:00 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> On 26.03.2008 03:34, Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>
>>> I never had the need to implement a Source and for the mentioned
>>> simple cases I wonder where you have to cope with them at all? Cocoon
>>> used to be a framework for non-Java developers ... even if we
>>> introduce a pipeline API as in the examples in this thread why do I
>>> need to care about Urls or Sources at all? Why should it be different
>>> then map:generate with its src attribtue? And when I read
>>> CacheableFileGenerator something tells me this approach is wrong.
>>
>> What's the advantage of giving our components the responsibility to
>> deal with strings that represent sources?
>
> Isn't that what components are there for? Encapsulating commonly used
> functionality? Why should I extract that to the pipeline *instance*
> level? So writing pipelines is becoming a mess!

Hmm, I don't think so. Imagine a pipeline java api just taking a uri for
the sources used in the pipeline. That's simple and easy.
Now, you can use the source resolver on top of that, resolve your
sources and you get a uri from your source that you can put into the
pipeline api.
That's neither a mess nor does it require more java coding.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org