cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <Ralph.Go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: JNet integration
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2008 19:55:19 GMT

I think you are out of your mind. (Not seriously).

I have to tell you, Cocoon without caching pipelines would suck so bad
with performance problems you would give it the boot in very short
order. Even without "Cocoon", as soon as you start doing anything
serious caching will become necessary.

I'll give you a trivial example. I wrote my own I18n implementation for
use with JSF and used Excalibur Source to read an XML properties file
containing the keys and values. The first implementation checked to see
if the file was valid for every key that was read. This didn't perform
well at all and I changed my Validity so that the file validity was only
checked once per Request. This made it so the overhead of this utility
was not noticeable. Now imagine that instead of just checking the
validity I had been actually reading the file for every key!

Ralph