cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Compiled vs. Interpreted Sitemap Engine (Cocoon 2.0.4)
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2008 11:03:03 GMT
Robert La Ferla wrote:
> I am using Cocoon 2.0.4.  Can someone please explain why the interpreted
> sitemap engine is faster than the compiled one?  Also, is it the "class"
> attribute that determines whether Cocoon is using the compiled vs. the
> interpreted sitemap engine?  Seems like if you omit the class attribute,
> it should use the interpreted engine but if you specify
> class="org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.SitemapManager", it uses the compiled
> engine??

The term "interpreted" is a little bit missleading as the sitemap xml is not
read on each access. On the first access the sitemap is read and a
object representation is created in memory which is used for subsequent
requests. This approach is way faster than the compiled one which relies
on heavy xslt transformations etc. The interpreted sitemap has also been
optimized, so you should try to use the interpreted one. Please also
note that starting with 2.1 the compiled sitemap has been removed.

The class attribute on the sitemap element specifies the implementation
of the sitemap. Without a class attribute the interpreted is used as
this is the default for the class attribute. By specifying a different
value a different implementation (like the compiled one) can be used.

HTH
Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler