cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <>
Subject Re: [GSoC_2008] Project ideas
Date Tue, 25 Mar 2008 08:15:51 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
>> hey everybody,
>> i'm the student, who's interested in participating in a GSoC
>> cocoon-project.
>> two days ago i had a conversation with Reinhard and as i read on the
>> list,
>> he told me raising CForms from Dojo 0.4 upto Dojo 1.1 as a GSoC
>> project would not be the best way to do so,
>> due to Jeremy's work on this.
>> he pointed out that several blocks and related examples yet don't work
>> in cocoon-2.2 and
>> a great part of cocoon's users would take advantage of porting
>> frequently used, cohesive blocks to version 2.2.
>> migrating the following blocks could be a realistic aim:
>> - cocoon-eventcache
>> - cocoon-jms
>> - cocoon-webdav
>> - cocoon-repository
>> my suggestion would consist of:
>> - creating a test-environment
>> - writing integration tests
>> - replacing avalon by spring
>> - making existing samples work
>> - developing new samples
>> what do you think?
> I'd change the order a bit. First I'd suggest to make sure (and fix if
> necessary) existing samples. Once this is done, the block should be
> released. After that, you could start (as necessary) avalon to spring
> migration, and development of new samples.

I'd like to rephrase this: Make the existing samples work which includes
replacing all the XSP stuff. This could be the base for a 1.0.0 release.
Then we branch and Lukas can continue with the Springification and writing
integration tests which can be the base for a 1.1.0 release.

Just to make it clear for Lukas: It's not your responsibility that something
gets released. And don't add any dependency on some external event to your proposal.

Finally, one thing that I miss: Can you add 'documentation' to your list of

Apache Cocoon Committer, PMC member, PMC Chair

View raw message