cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: JNet integration doubts
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:25:17 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski pisze:

>> AFAIU, you call
>>
>> Installer.setURLStreamHandlerFactory(new SourceURLStreamHandlerFactory());
>>
>> at the startup of your application.
>>
>> Then you can use the SourceFactoriesManager to install and uninstall
>> source factories.
>
> Yes, but when and where should I call SourceFactoriesManager to install SourceFactories?
> That's the main problem here.

Ok, somehow "solved" and committed. The stuff I committed should be considered as experimental
(even
though it works...) so don't be surprised seeing lots of hacks.

After playing with JNet idea for a while I'm more and more doubtful about the direction we
have
taken. I really like Source, SourceFactory interfaces, they are clean, focused and obvious
to use
contrary to the URL machinery from Java API. Look at what I committed, there is no way to
release
underlying Source object if InputStream was not been obtained.

Moreover, if you need some advanced functionality (e.g. traversable source) you still need
switch
back to Excalibur interfaces. Same goes for modifiable, postable etc.

I'm going to invest my energy into implementation of my original idea of providing default
SourceResolver for SSF internal needs so we can release SSF 1.1.0 ASAP. I'll wait with JNet
integration until someone (Carsten?) else chimes in and explains how everything should be
glued.

Abstract description explaining what are _real_ benefits of integrating JNet into SSF and
Cocoon
(Corona?) in general would be good. I really need to get some roadmap if I'm going to continue.

Thanks for listening and have happy post-Easter time!

--
Grzegorz