cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SourceResolver in SSF
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 09:36:49 GMT
Reinhard Poetz wrote:
> Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
>> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>>
>>> First we have to discuss, which project does the release? Do we want
>>> to pull it into Cocoon? TBH, I'd rather get rid of Excalibur
>>> dependencies that creating another one.
>>>
>> Hmm, yes, I tend to agree. But jnet needs to be a separate project
>> when it proofs to be useful (which i think it is). We already have the
>> configuration stuff and the ssf, so we could jnet here as well as a
>> separate subproject. I've no problem with that. However, as it will be
>> a separate project you still have the dependency.
>>
>> Jnet currently depends on sourceresolve 3.0 which is an avalon free
>> version of sourceresolve...so the whole thing is not that easy :)
>>
>> I think we should try to get the avalon free sourceresolve out of the
>> door at excalibur asap. And perhaps move jnet as its own subproject
>> over to Cocoon?
>
> My problem is not having dependencies in general but with dependencies
> that don't have another user than us. It just introduces another layer
> of bureaucracy making things more complicated for us without a
> noticeable benefit.
I agree.

> Since we have to depend on sourceresolve anyway, it doesn't matter if
> there is another dependency on jnet that his hosted by Excalibur.
Yes :(

> The other option is pulling the sourceresolve code into Cocoon too and
> promoting it to the level of a subproject.

Now, I think that this will be over time the best solution *if* we can
keep the excalibur package names - but I think that should be possible.
Let's face it, Excalibur is more or less a dead project. The stuff there
is useful and used in some projects, but there is no community anymore
to support stuff. We are the strongest users of some of the stuff there
(sourceresolve, xml, store), so moving these things seems to be a good
choice.
The problematic part is the time frame. I would suggest to just copy the
jnet classes to SSF to be able to release SSF in a short time frame.
We can then sort out the details after Easter.

WDYT?

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler