cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SourceResolver in SSF
Date Wed, 19 Mar 2008 08:17:38 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>>> 1. If you want other projects to use your stuff you need to prepare
>>> an official release. :-)
>>
>> First we have to discuss, which project does the release? Do we want
>> to pull it into Cocoon? TBH, I'd rather get rid of Excalibur
>> dependencies that creating another one.
>>
> Hmm, yes, I tend to agree. But jnet needs to be a separate project when
> it proofs to be useful (which i think it is). We already have the
> configuration stuff and the ssf, so we could jnet here as well as a
> separate subproject. I've no problem with that. However, as it will be a
> separate project you still have the dependency.
>
> Jnet currently depends on sourceresolve 3.0 which is an avalon free
> version of sourceresolve...so the whole thing is not that easy :)
>
> I think we should try to get the avalon free sourceresolve out of the
> door at excalibur asap. And perhaps move jnet as its own subproject over
> to Cocoon?

My problem is not having dependencies in general but with dependencies that
don't have another user than us. It just introduces another layer of bureaucracy
making things more complicated for us without a noticeable benefit.

Since we have to depend on sourceresolve anyway, it doesn't matter if there is
another dependency on jnet that his hosted by Excalibur.

The other option is pulling the sourceresolve code into Cocoon too and promoting
it to the level of a subproject.