cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: SourceResolver in SSF
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:19:22 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>> Thanks Carsten for a summary!
>> To be honest, I'm not sure what kind of action we should take here.
>> What you described sounds great and it's very tempting to have
>> sources properly working with just standard URL class.
>>
>> Anyway, I'm little bit worried that whole things bases on *ugly*
>> hack. I'm wondering how reliable the solution is. I have a few
>> additional questions:
>> 1. Has this technique (not necessarily JNet's implementation) been
>> used in some project? Or it's your brilliant invention? :-)
> Hehe, no, afaik other projects are using this as well and I borrowed
> the idea from there and made my own implementation. Among the projects
> is Equinox, the platform for Eclipse. I think there are some other
> projects out there using this as well.

Yes, IIRC this was born in Equinox when some people started using OSGi
in webapps. Felix also has an implementation, which seems to take a
large variety of JVMs in to account [1]

It might be worth considering a common low-level layer to handle this in
various contexts (Felix, Cocoon, etc)

Sylvain

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/felix/trunk/framework/src/main/java/org/apache/felix/framework/URLHandlers.java