cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Re: Micro-Cocoon ... Corona
Date Sun, 16 Mar 2008 12:25:28 GMT
Reinhard Poetz pisze:

>> First of all, there is not much to worry about. We're talking about
>> 4.5 days worth of thinking, planning, and developing.
>> That's not much compared to the about 10 days (3 days with 3-4 people)
>> we spent here in Vienna in February.
>>
>> I believe the fact that I'm not a Cocoon commit is actually an
>> advantage here. It allowed me to think "out of the box" and be
>> unaffected by the current implementation.
>> After all we're talking about a rewrite. Wouldn't make much sense, if
>> we did everything the same way, would it.
>> Of course this means some things are different than Cocoon is now. But
>> I'm confident any Cocoon committer can easily understand Corona and
>> draw parallels with the current Cocoon.
>> The basic concept - like the sitemap, pipelines, etc. - are still the
>> same, just reimplemented.
>> The current code base consists of about 750 lines of code (according
>> to Cobertura). So there isn't much code to be understood either.
>
> Well said, there isn't much to add.
>
> Grzegorz, I don't really understand what you are worried about. Is it
> because Steven is not (yet) an active member?
>
> Or is it because we developed Corona behind closed doors for about *4.5
> days*?
> That not much time IMO.
>
> As Steven pointed out, we want to share the code with this community.
> It's not meant to be a finished piece of software where all contracts
> are cast in stone. It's rather the opposite.
> We would be more than happy to get detailed feedback on the chosen
> designs (The architecture is more or less the one of 2.x.) and we don't
> think that we got all things right at the first shot. We also don't have
> ego problems so that we couldn't take critisisms.

I must admit I misunderstood the situation. I had different imagination (much exaggerated)
of Corona
compared to what it actually is.

Now I'm glad to see that you want to share your work right from the beginning and let whole

community participate in the effort (including me). I'm waiting impatiently to see this moving

forward :-)

> Thinking further, in my opinion it is a great chance to attract new
> developers and users because one of the main goals of Corona is that it
> can be easily used from within different environments. This would mean
> that it may become attractive to many other (opensource) projects (again).
>
> I hope you (and many others) give Corona a chance and take a look at it.

Agreed. What about officially announcing our effort at main site with simple manifesto? I
have a
feeling that we agree on fundamental goals so writing such a document shouldn't be a problem,
right?

I would like to see as many as possible people participating or at least aware of the move.

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski