cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Micro-Cocoon ... Corona
Date Sat, 15 Mar 2008 20:02:14 GMT
Luca Morandini wrote:
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
<snip/>
>> About existing APIs, javax.xml.transform addresses part of it (it
>> doesn't have stream inspection though) but it often perceived as
>> difficult to grasp from the simple fact that you have to wire the
>> pipeline backwards, starting with the serializer.
>
> Ok, but... (bear with my my ignorance a bit more) is *that* difficult
> to develop such an API ?
> I mean, the classes dealing with the sitemap are already doing that,
> isn't just a matter of spreading an API over them ?

Oh, I don't think it's a giant task, and what we wrote in this thread is
pretty close to the current pipeline interface [1]. But it was designed
as support code for the sitemap because this was the target goal, and
thus it contains some "sitemap-isms". We probably need to polish it by
thinking the other way around, i.e. start aim at a clean Java API on top
of which we can add and XML language... if we want.

Sylvain

[1]
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/cocoon/trunk/core/cocoon-pipeline/cocoon-pipeline-api/src/main/java/org/apache/cocoon/components/pipeline/ProcessingPipeline.java

--