cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Micro-Cocoon ... Corona
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2008 07:26:41 GMT
Steven Dolg wrote:
 > Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
 >> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>> So far Corona has been developed mostly by Steven (~ 90 % by him, 10 %
>>> by me) behind closed doors but we would like to change that, if this
>>> community is interested in adopting it in this or that way. Is there any
>>> interest and if yes, how should we proceed?
>>>

>> I've met Steven and I really like him (if you are reading this,
>> greetings from me) but the fact that
>> 90% of the code, fundamental contracts was developed by one developer
>> which is *not* Cocoon
>> committer really worries me.
>>

> First of all, there is not much to worry about. We're talking about 4.5
> days worth of thinking, planning, and developing.
> That's not much compared to the about 10 days (3 days with 3-4 people)
> we spent here in Vienna in February.
>
> I believe the fact that I'm not a Cocoon commit is actually an advantage
> here. It allowed me to think "out of the box" and be unaffected by the
> current implementation.
> After all we're talking about a rewrite. Wouldn't make much sense, if we
> did everything the same way, would it.
> Of course this means some things are different than Cocoon is now. But
> I'm confident any Cocoon committer can easily understand Corona and draw
> parallels with the current Cocoon.
> The basic concept - like the sitemap, pipelines, etc. - are still the
> same, just reimplemented.
> The current code base consists of about 750 lines of code (according to
> Cobertura). So there isn't much code to be understood either.

Well said, there isn't much to add.

Grzegorz, I don't really understand what you are worried about. Is it because
Steven is not (yet) an active member?

Or is it because we developed Corona behind closed doors for about *4.5 days*?
That not much time IMO.

As Steven pointed out, we want to share the code with this community. It's not
meant to be a finished piece of software where all contracts are cast in stone.
It's rather the opposite.
We would be more than happy to get detailed feedback on the chosen designs (The
architecture is more or less the one of 2.x.) and we don't think that we got all
things right at the first shot. We also don't have ego problems so that we
couldn't take critisisms.

Thinking further, in my opinion it is a great chance to attract new developers
and users because one of the main goals of Corona is that it can be easily used
from within different environments. This would mean that it may become
attractive to many other (opensource) projects (again).

I hope you (and many others) give Corona a chance and take a look at it.