cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Bruce Atherton <br...@callenish.com>
Subject Re: Micro-Cocoon ... Corona
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 19:42:55 GMT
Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz wrote:
>>
>> This rewrite that we gave the name "Corona" consists of
>>
>>  . a pipeline API (that isn't limited to XML pipelines but would also
>>    support connecting of any types of pipes)
> Do you have use cases for this? (Just curious)
I can think of a lot of them. Any time you want to make replacements in
text where the source is not XML this could be useful. How about
replacing property keys with property values, just as an obvious
example. Or translating a text file to another language by looking up
phrases in a resource bundle. Sure, you could use a templating engine,
but that may be overkill for some applications and besides, suppose you
wanted to do several unrelated replacements that used different kinds of
templates?

Or suppose you wanted to make changes to HTML generated by some other
website that doesn't generate XHTML or even very sensible HTML? There
are many reasons you might want to do this: to extract a bit of content
from the page, to filter certain words, to alter URLs. I wrote a spider
once that archived the state of a web application as of a certain day.
It crawled web pages and replaced URLs with "file:" URLs that pointed to
where the web page was stored locally. This was complicated by the fact
that many web pages with the same URL would display different data
depending on request parameters, and so had to be stored in different
places but still be pointed to by the links if you followed a particular
path through the stored HTML files. This was only one of many cleanups I
needed to make to the archived HTML. Cocoon didn't help me because there
was no reasonable way to get the HTML into XHTML. A non-XML pipeline
would have helped a lot.