cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [#COCOON-2168] ResourceReader produces Java Heap Overflow when reading a huge resource - ASF JIRA
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:52:21 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:

>> Hmm, ok, we could change this in the main sitemap as a default
>> configuration while leaving it in the java code untouched.
>> However, I still think that this is not needed, if people want to
>> stream huge responses, they should think about what they are doing and
>> configure everything accordingly. I totally agree that we lack
>> documentation here.
>
> I really don't agree with this reasoning but I don't want to stress it
> too much to not get on your nerves, so it's my last try :-)
Hehe :) Ok, and I try hard that this is my last response :)

> 1. This IS already documented in the main sitemap and I think though
> hardly anybody is aware of it: Nobody had reacted on Felix' issue entry
> for 3 weeks. I can also see why: our main sitemap is the first thing I
> would get rid of when creating my own Cocoon application ;-)
>
> 2. Actually I don't care about the huge resources that much. I rather
> have big resources in mind - and concurrent users. What's worse as a
> default behavior for an incautious user: a screwed error page or a
> server brought down with an OOME? I also wanted to put the default as
> big as 1 MB so that it hardly affects anybody.
>
> I really don't see an additional value of endless buffering over such a
> big buffer. But I can prevent a fatal user error. And for everything
> that's beyond the default buffer size, here I completely agree with you,
> the user should think about potential issues in terms of buffering or
> caching.
>
> 3. Another, I admit minor point after so long time might be the change
> in behavior compared to former Cocoon versions. According to Robert [1]
> in Cocoon 2.0.4 it used to work out of the box.

Yes, we discussed this for 2.1.0 and decided that it's better to have a
correct error response per default.

Ok, I agree that the difference is really very subtle, so lets change
it; I guess one mb should be enough. I guess you want to change it for
2.1.x as well, right?

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler