cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Joerg Heinicke <joerg.heini...@gmx.de>
Subject Re: [#COCOON-2168] ResourceReader produces Java Heap Overflow when reading a huge resource - ASF JIRA
Date Thu, 13 Mar 2008 05:22:08 GMT
On 11.03.2008 08:54, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:

>>> Hmm, not sure if we should change the default value. The idea of this
>>> default was to be sure that error handling works out of the box. If
>>> you have special cases like mentioned in the bug, it makes imho more
>>> sense to fine tune these special cases (for instance by not buffering).
>>
>>> The output buffer value is one of the settings which is "optimized"
>>> for development and it should be tweaked for production usage.
>>
> Hmm, ok, we could change this in the main sitemap as a default
> configuration while leaving it in the java code untouched.
> However, I still think that this is not needed, if people want to stream
> huge responses, they should think about what they are doing and
> configure everything accordingly. I totally agree that we lack
> documentation here.

I really don't agree with this reasoning but I don't want to stress it
too much to not get on your nerves, so it's my last try :-)

1. This IS already documented in the main sitemap and I think though
hardly anybody is aware of it: Nobody had reacted on Felix' issue entry
for 3 weeks. I can also see why: our main sitemap is the first thing I
would get rid of when creating my own Cocoon application ;-)

2. Actually I don't care about the huge resources that much. I rather
have big resources in mind - and concurrent users. What's worse as a
default behavior for an incautious user: a screwed error page or a
server brought down with an OOME? I also wanted to put the default as
big as 1 MB so that it hardly affects anybody.

I really don't see an additional value of endless buffering over such a
big buffer. But I can prevent a fatal user error. And for everything
that's beyond the default buffer size, here I completely agree with you,
the user should think about potential issues in terms of buffering or
caching.

3. Another, I admit minor point after so long time might be the change
in behavior compared to former Cocoon versions. According to Robert [1]
in Cocoon 2.0.4 it used to work out of the box.

Joerg

[1] http://marc.info/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=120473398413381&w=4