cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [#COCOON-2168] ResourceReader produces Java Heap Overflow when reading a huge resource - ASF JIRA
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 10:19:16 GMT
Felix Knecht wrote:

>> You need to turn off the buffering of the pipeline as well. I don't
>> have the parameter name at hand, I assume it's "buffer-size" as well
>> but could be different:
>>
>>     <map:pipeline id="test-nocache" type="noncaching">
>>       <map:parameter name="buffer-size" value="0" />
>>       <map:match pattern="nocache">
>>         <map:read src="/home/felix/tmp/livecd-i686-installer-2007.0.iso"
>>           <map:parameter name="buffer-size" value="8192" />
>>         </map:read>
>>       </map:match>
>>     </map:pipeline>
>>
>> This is usually the way I would define reader pipelines. If the above
>> still produces an OOMError than we have a bug :)
> Thanks Carsten, it works. Parameter is "outputBufferSize"

Ah, yes :) Great!

> I may ask at this point if the general configuration of noncaching
> pipelines is correct
> (cocoon-core/cocoon-core/src/main/resources/META-INF/cocoon/avalon/cocoon-core-sitemapcomponents.xconf):

>    <map:pipe name="noncaching"
> src="org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.impl.NonCachingProcessingPipeline">
>
>      <!-- parameter name="outputBufferSize" value="8192"/ -->
>    </map:pipe>
>
> ==> As no parameter is specified '-1' is used what in fact leads to the
> same configuration as for caching pipelines?!

Yes, this is correct :) The output buffer only specifies the size of the
buffer for writing the response. This is not directly related to
caching. You might increase performance by buffering.

The buffer is in both case unlimited because of allowing proper error
handling.

If we don't have it yet, we should add these things to a "tuning cocoon"
page. I would turn off infinite buffering in production in all case and
set a fixed buffer size (like 8192). For reader pipelines I would turn
off buffering completly.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler