cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [#COCOON-2168] ResourceReader produces Java Heap Overflow when reading a huge resource - ASF JIRA
Date Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:48:47 GMT
Joerg Heinicke wrote:
> On 05.03.2008 23:06, Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>
>> We could argue about another default value than -1 though. Something
>> like 1024^2.
>
> What do others think? Shall we change the default value from "buffer
> everything" (which lead to the OutOfMemoryError [1]) to something more
> "secure" in the sense of avoiding a potential source of error? Besides
> mentioning it on the changes page we have to set it to a value that's
> unlikely to be hit with a normal web application to change user
> application's behavior only in extreme cases. That's why I suggested 1MB.

Hmm, not sure if we should change the default value. The idea of this
default was to be sure that error handling works out of the box. If you
have special cases like mentioned in the bug, it makes imho more sense
to fine tune these special cases (for instance by not buffering).

The output buffer value is one of the settings which is "optimized" for
development and it should be tweaked for production usage. I think also
if you're using a reader in your pipeline it is more likely that you
don't want to let the pipeline buffer your output.

Carsten

--
Carsten Ziegeler
cziegeler@apache.org