cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject "Normal" release artifacts
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 14:24:50 GMT

I have started to write some Ant scripts to produce non-Maven release artifacts.
This will of course help everybody who doesn't want to use Maven or Ivy for
dependency management but will also bundle all the information that belongs
together (src, binaries, docs, javadocs, licensing information).

Most of the work has been finished but now I got stuck with the question if we
should ship third-party libs or not. E.g. for the Spring configurator this would
be everything listed at
http://cocoon.apache.org/subprojects/configuration/1.0/spring-configurator/1.0/dependencies.html.

The advantages are that the user gets everything that she needs but the
disadvantages are that we would have to add all license files of all 3rd-party
libs (AFAIK there is no automatic mechanism for that) and the download size
would increase. And I think that in 2008 you shouldn't manage your library
dependency graph manually anymore in your projects (Maven, Ivy, the Maven Ant
tasks are of great help and at least the last one is very easy to use.)

Finally, if we decide to ship 3rd party libs, one technical question:
Am I right that there is no automatic mechanism for Ant or Maven that pulls
together all license information of all 3rd-party libs?
And, if we decide to not ship 3rd party libs, am I right that we don't have to
add license files of them? (Otherwise all artifacts on the central Maven
repository would be legally broken ...)

Any comments?