cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Releasing Cocoon 2.2, finally!
Date Thu, 06 Mar 2008 13:58:34 GMT

It's time to release Cocoon 2.2, finally! We have been working on it for years
and I think it's time to ship the *final* release. I want to do this in three
phases:

1) During the first phase I will release our two sub-projects "Cocoon
Configuration" and "Cocoon Servlet-Service-Framework". This time I will create
the Maven 2 release artifacts and "normal" zip/tar release artifacts for
non-Maven users.

I think that I will be able to finish it by the end of next week.

2) The second phase is Cocoon Core and all the blocks that were released as
release candidates. Additionally I want to release the Cocoon Maven plugin
(milestone 2), the Cocoon integration test framework (milestone 1), our
archetypes and a starter package for non-Maven users.

Again, this time I will create "normal" zip/tar release artifacts, except those
cases where it doesn't make sense (e.g. the Maven plugin, the POM artifacts and
the archetypes).

I think that I will manage to finish this work by the end of March.

3) The third phase is releasing our samples. It would be great if somebody else
could help out with this task because I don't know if I will have the necessary
cycles anytime soon. I guess that there is some work left in order to get this
done and there are a couple of things to be discuessed before:

  . What do we want to ship? A WAR file only, or a WAR file + a pre-configured
    Jetty packaged as ZIP, etc?
  . Do we ship snapshots of our blocks and samples? Or the released blocks and
    the snapshots of the samples? Or do we want to release our samples offically?
  . Are there any open legal issues? (e.g. we have to make sure that all the
    licenses of 3-party libs are added, etc.)
  . Or, should we only provide nightly snapshots of our samples? (though we would
    still have to check what this means legally for us ...)
  . etc.

                                      - o -

I know that there are still open isses but I don't see any blockers. Since this
will probably be the last time when our sub-projects, core and a lot of blocks
are released together, I think it will be easy to ship upgrades of one module as
soon as we have something better available without having to wait for all the
rest getting stable.

As soon as I'm ready for the actual release work, I will announce a partly code
freeze of our repository.

Any comments?