cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From "Andy Stevens" <insomniacpeng...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: C2.2 dojotoolkit
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 12:55:29 GMT
On 05/02/2008, Sylvain Wallez <sylvain@apache.org> wrote:
> Dev at weitling wrote:
> Prototype/Scriptaculous has a smaller scope than Dojo that brings loads
> of features. You don't have to use all of them though and can strip down
> Dojo with the "compressor" they provides that embeds and obfuscates
> everything you need in one file.
>
> Prototype also considers that it "owns" the page and tweaks the
> prototype of many built-in classes such as Object, Array, Element, etc.
> This makes code more compact but has the very important drawback of
> breaking other libraries you would like to use in the same page
> (particularly the "for (prop in object)" construct no more works as
> expected).

Just a random thought...
If I understand it correctly, dojo is only used by the presentation
aspects of the forms block, and only when ajax is enabled; if ajax is
not enabled, the forms are processed differently and don't contain any
dojo references, just plain (X)HTML.  If so, would it be possible to
add alternative presentation transformations that use
prototype/scriptaculous (or jquery, or ext, or yui, or ...) instead?
That way it could use whichever library any individual site developer
is most comfortable with (or which is already used elsewhere in the
site).  I guess to avoid having to add support for every available
toolkit into the forms block itself, this part of it should be
separated out into individual block dependencies (forms-dojo,
forms-yui, etc.) and specifying which one to use would just be down to
which of them you had in your app's pom and/or bean configurations.
Or is this all a crazy dream and totally impractical?

Andy.
--
http://pseudoq.sourceforge.net/  Open source java Sudoku solver