cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Carsten Ziegeler <cziege...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PipelineEvents eat children
Date Thu, 21 Feb 2008 08:39:25 GMT
solprovider@apache.org wrote

> The fix is one short function added to
> PipelineEventComponentProcessingNode and called in the line that sets
> the Parameters of the three child classes. Maintenance would be easy.

No, it is not - fixing it this way would cause a lot of trouble and
break the whole sitemap engine. The current sitemap has been drafted way
back in the early days of Cocoon more than eight years ago.
One basic concept is that selectors and matchers only define which
components are used in the pipeline processing. They've never meant to
be used for configuration selection of a single component. This has been
discussed for Cocoon 2.0 and it has been this way for the whole time.
During all these years this has never been a problem for Cocoon users as
it is a very clear concept.
Inside selectors you can have any other component like matchers,
transformers, you name it. So if we follow your suggestion we have two
different kind of selectors. Which will end in handling special cases
and special case handling is always bad.

Starting to allow selectors for choosing configuration parameters will
end in a very very messy and not maintainable sitemap, so Joergs
suggestions are a much better way of handling things. Just you can do
something without Java coding does not mean that this is the best and
cleanest way.

Carsten
--
Carsten Ziegeler