cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C2.2 dojotoolkit
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 20:09:17 GMT
Dev at weitling wrote:
> Hi Sylvain,
>
> thanks for answering.
>
> Sylvain Wallez wrote:
>> Prototype/Scriptaculous has a smaller scope than Dojo that brings
>> loads of features. You don't have to use all of them though and can
>> strip down Dojo with the "compressor" they provides that embeds and
>> obfuscates everything you need in one file.
>>
>> Prototype also considers that it "owns" the page and tweaks the
>> prototype of many built-in classes such as Object, Array, Element,
>> etc. This makes code more compact but has the very important drawback
>> of breaking other libraries you would like to use in the same page
>> (particularly the "for (prop in object)" construct no more works as
>> expected).
>
> Yes, recently I've seen that, too, using Scriptaculous in a current
> PHP project. Seems rather invasive.
>
>> As far as documentation is concerned, I have no opinion, digging in
>> the code more often than reading the documentation :-P
>
> Thank god docs of Dojo have improved, the only book I could find is
> cheap but rather thin ("Dojo Toolkit. schnell+kompakt" by Michael
> Seemann).

You german people have lots of german books ! Tech writers in France
often write in english for US publishers... who sometimes also publish a
french translation!

>> That being said, upgrading to Dojo 1.x is definitely something to be
>> done. I personally don't have the cycles for it though...
>
> And I lack the knowledge :-/
> Where do you live? So I can start a pilgrimage to convince you ;-)

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=pechabou,+fr

But as for every pilgrimage, you have to walk on your knees all the way :-P

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net