cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Dev at weitling <d...@weitling.net>
Subject Re: C2.2 dojotoolkit
Date Wed, 06 Feb 2008 05:21:02 GMT
Hi Sylvain,

thanks for answering.

Sylvain Wallez wrote:
> Prototype/Scriptaculous has a smaller scope than Dojo that brings
> loads of features. You don't have to use all of them though and can
> strip down Dojo with the "compressor" they provides that embeds and
> obfuscates everything you need in one file.
>
> Prototype also considers that it "owns" the page and tweaks the
> prototype of many built-in classes such as Object, Array, Element,
> etc. This makes code more compact but has the very important drawback
> of breaking other libraries you would like to use in the same page
> (particularly the "for (prop in object)" construct no more works as
> expected).

Yes, recently I've seen that, too, using Scriptaculous in a current PHP
project. Seems rather invasive.

> As far as documentation is concerned, I have no opinion, digging in
> the code more often than reading the documentation :-P

Thank god docs of Dojo have improved, the only book I could find is
cheap but rather thin ("Dojo Toolkit. schnell+kompakt" by Michael Seemann).

> That being said, upgrading to Dojo 1.x is definitely something to be
> done. I personally don't have the cycles for it though...

And I lack the knowledge :-/
Where do you live? So I can start a pilgrimage to convince you ;-)

Regards,
Florian