cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: C2.2 dojotoolkit
Date Tue, 05 Feb 2008 11:39:11 GMT
Dev at weitling wrote:
> Hi Jeroen,
>
> if the migration to Dojo 1.0 tends to become a big piece of work what
> about migrating to Prototype/Scriptaculous (or similar)?
> I'm not the Javascript guru but it would be nice to have a feature
> list (including quality of documentation) for re-evaluating the
> client-side-javascript-library. Who was the developer introducing Dojo
> in Cocoon? What does he/she think about it?

This is me :-)

Prototype/Scriptaculous has a smaller scope than Dojo that brings loads
of features. You don't have to use all of them though and can strip down
Dojo with the "compressor" they provides that embeds and obfuscates
everything you need in one file.

Prototype also considers that it "owns" the page and tweaks the
prototype of many built-in classes such as Object, Array, Element, etc.
This makes code more compact but has the very important drawback of
breaking other libraries you would like to use in the same page
(particularly the "for (prop in object)" construct no more works as
expected).

As far as documentation is concerned, I have no opinion, digging in the
code more often than reading the documentation :-P

That being said, upgrading to Dojo 1.x is definitely something to be
done. I personally don't have the cycles for it though...

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net