cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Gabriel Gruber <Gabriel.Gru...@workflow.at>
Subject Terracotta Clustering for solving the "continuation-serialisation-problem" in a cluster environment?
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2008 09:53:33 GMT
Hello dear Experts,

We are currently implementing our cocoon 2.1.10/spring/hibernate based
application at a big customer in a clustered environment on tomcat 5.028
and JDK 1.4x using Apache 2.0 and mod_jk as load-balancer. As recommended
we use "sticky-sessions" due to the fact, that serialisation of
session-state (and their nested flowscript continuations) is not possible.

However there seems to be a new star on the sky of clustering named
terracotta which virtually builds a "grid of jvms". Terracotta has finally
gone open source and offers their product on the base of TPL which is a
slightly modification of the Mozilla Public Licence (MPL):
http://www.terracotta.org/confluence/display/orgsite/Licensing

As a specific usecase http session clustering is well documented in the
terracota documentation. In contrast to "classic" http clustering
solutions, terracotta does NOT serialize the http session-objects but
rather "shares a tree of objects between cluster nodes".
http://www.terracotta.org/confluence/display/docs1/Sessions+Quick+Start

Might this finally be a solution for having a seamless failover for cocoon
users with flow continuations, cforms models and all that stuff?

Gabriel

Mag. Gabriel Gruber
Senior Consultant
Workflow EDV GmbH, Dannebergplatz 6/23, A-1030 Wien