cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <g...@tuffmail.com>
Subject Is throwing exception always good choice?
Date Mon, 28 Jan 2008 10:41:58 GMT
Hello guys,

I noticed comment from Dominic Mitchell at his blog complaining[1] about the fact that we
print 30
lines long exception just to inform there is no block handling favicon.ico browser's request.

It is caused by following snippet in DispatcherServlet:

        if (servlet == null) {
            throw new ServletException("No block for " + req.getPathInfo());
        }

Now I start to think that throwing this exception is a bad idea. It's going to be quite casual
situation that server is requested non-existing resources and I think we shouldn't do so much
noise
about it. Why about just returning 404 response with message the same as it's now thrown within
exception?

I'll make this change within two days if nobody complains.

[1] http://happygiraffe.net/blog/articles/2008/01/27/trusting-your-tools

--
Grzegorz Kossakowski