cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Grzegorz Kossakowski <gkossakow...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Integration tests
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 19:14:46 GMT
Reinhard Poetz pisze:
> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>> Reinhard Poetz pisze:
>>
>> Yes I was very happy to see your commits. However, I always thought
>> that it's
>> first that you write unit tests for covering the most basic
>> functionality and
>> ITs for testing how different parts interact with each other.
>>
>> Doesn't it make sense to write a few unit tests first?
>
> :-) yes, I fully agree. However, I wanted to explore the code by writing
> unit tests but I failed. Maybe I invested to less time but I came to the
> conclustion that it is easier to write integration tests.

I don't understand what you mean exactly. Do you mean it was too complicated to write unit
tests? I
haven't taken a closer look at your IT work but I guess it should be always easier to write
isolated
unit tests than ITs. Am I wrong?

>> What kind of ITs do you plan to write?
>
> I want to test ...
>  o absolute and relative connections to servlet services
>  o connecting to blocks using the servlet:/ protocol
>  o super connections
>  o accessing information coming from the original request
>  o error handling
>  o postable sources
>  o servlet-service generator/transformer/serializer

I don't want to be pesky but... most of these items looks like perfect cases for unit tests.
Don't they?

I'm not feeling good about testing basic functionality by using ITs because it introduces
too much
dependencies, IMHO. It was Daniel who taught me how to keep number of dependencies in tests
as small
as possible. He was endlessly reminding me when I was working during GSoC to use classes inheriting
from pure TestCase and now I see he was perfectly right.

Tests are normal code, the more complicated dependencies you introduce the more it's hard
maintain such code...

>> Sure, tell what command exactly is needed to be fired. Is mvn clean
>> install
>> -P allbocks,it enough?
>
> yes

Configuration at Continuum updated.