cocoon-dev mailing list archives

From Reinhard Poetz <reinh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Integration tests
Date Tue, 15 Jan 2008 17:43:28 GMT
Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
> Reinhard Poetz pisze:
>> Grzegorz Kossakowski wrote:
>>> gkossakowski@apache.org pisze:
>>>
>>> I'm not sure how to say this but... Guys, there is a lot of to cover by
>>> test in this module and writing tests in trunk is not painful by any
>>> means.
>> you are right and this particular bug was my fault because I haven't
>> written any tests yet. However, if you followed my commit messages, you saw
>> that I was able to enable integration tests for trunk ('mvn install -P it'
>> from cocoon-webapp runs the tests in cocoon-webapp/src/test/java). My next
>> step on my todo list is covering the SSF with tests.
>
> Yes I was very happy to see your commits. However, I always thought that it's
> first that you write unit tests for covering the most basic functionality and
> ITs for testing how different parts interact with each other.
>
> Doesn't it make sense to write a few unit tests first?

:-) yes, I fully agree. However, I wanted to explore the code by writing unit
tests but I failed. Maybe I invested to less time but I came to the conclustion
that it is easier to write integration tests.

> What kind of ITs do you plan to write?

I want to test ...
  o absolute and relative connections to servlet services
  o connecting to blocks using the servlet:/ protocol
  o super connections
  o accessing information coming from the original request
  o error handling
  o postable sources
  o servlet-service generator/transformer/serializer

>> Could somebody with admin rights on vmbuild help me with adding the
>> integration tests to Continuum?
>
> Sure, tell what command exactly is needed to be fired. Is mvn clean install
> -P allbocks,it enough?

yes